Tuesday, June 08, 2021

East Atlanta FC - South Georgia Tormenta 2 (08-06=2021)

 


East Atlanta is the hip part of Atlanta, but East Atlanta FC does not play there. They play in Conyers, a commuter town roughly 25 miles (39 km) east of Atlanta, and should therefore be called East OF Atlanta FC. 

 

 

As I arrive at Rockdale Youth Soccer Academy, where they play their games, I directly recognize the ground. I was here 9 years ago, to see a game of Georgia Revolution, which has since moved to McDonough, Georgia.

 


I pay $8, which is quite a lot of money for a game in the USL Division 2 (roughly Fifth Division in the US), given that the setting would make most amateur football clubs in Europe feel ashamed. I do get a nice ticket though, albeit from a different game (and season?).



There are a few random old wooden bleachers (5 rows each) on two sides of the pitch, where some 100 people sit. The audience is reasonably mixed by class, gender, and race. Many seem to personally know a player (of the home team).

 


The game starts some 20 minutes late, as the previous game, between the youth teams of the two clubs, was delayed because of lightening. The weather has been playing up in the last days, but, despite predictions of rain, today was dry until roughly one hour before the game. Around 19.50 the game finally starts.


 

In the 3rd minute Tormenta has a chance but the East Atlanta goalie saves the shot from close by, which goes straight at him. The corner is headed just over the goal. At that time, the clouds become darker and darker and the wind is picking up. Like many others, I am starting to look for cover, when the game is being stopped for possible lightening.


 

Shortly after 20.00 the rain comes down hard, followed by lightening. I decide to head back to Athens, which is an hour north, as I have no desire to wait for 30 minutes in my car. As I’m typing this report at home, I see that the game restarted at 21.30 and East Atlanta FC won through a goal in the 90th minute, roughly at 23.00.

 


It is rare for me to abandon a game so easily, but I think I need a break from USL Division 2 for a while. It just has barely any resemblance of professional football and most clubs lack any culture or identity.

No comments: